Installation

For support discussions around installing and upgrading FutureMUD
Methuselah

Installation

Post by Methuselah » 20 Aug 2014, 16:34

Hi Japheth,

I've been doing some research on hosting possibilities for a mud using the FM engine. I've spent the last ten years or so concentrating on Linux systems and avoiding Windows, so I'm really very bad with Windows anymore. I'm going to have to re-learn a whole new system to get this up and running. I'm hoping, in the end, that I can get FM up and running without a lot of hassle with Windows.

I've got a couple of questions, if you've got a few moments to assist.

1. I've got a laptop with Windows 8. Will this be enough to install the .NET framework and SQL Server Express platform?

2. I assume any Windows Server 2008 64 bit Virtual Machine would have the capability to run everything required for FM. Is this correct?

3. If one went with MS Azure would we actually need to get a separate DB account as has been mentioned in another thread? Or should we be able to install and run SQL Server Express on that instance?

4. As far as your building interface, which I believe is a stand-alone utility and not web-based. Will it support remote building right away? i.e. if I choose to create an instance of a server and host FM there will I be able to run the building app on my laptop and update my mud?

5. If #4 above is a Yes, then an additional question is: If FM is hosted on a remote server can I run a local instance of the server on my own machine for testing purposes and copy data from one to the other? Kind of like a Builder Port on SoI? Bonus question if that's a yes. If so, I assume the local instance of FM can run without any type of internet connection in case I'm working offline. Would that be correct?

Sorry to lay all this on you. I want to make sure I'm ready to get up and running as soon as you're ready for some testing.

Thanks,

Methuselah

Japheth
Site Admin

Re: Installation

Post by Japheth » 23 Aug 2014, 00:47

Q) I've got a laptop with Windows 8. Will this be enough to install the .NET framework and SQL Server Express platform?

A) Absolutely. You probably already even have the .NET Framework, and SQL Server Express is just a fairly straightforward install

Q) I assume any Windows Server 2008 64 bit Virtual Machine would have the capability to run everything required for FM. Is this correct?

A) I believe Windows Server 2008 is the Windows-Server version of the Windows Vista era, which means it supports both current versions of .NET and SQL Server (which is more or less designed to run on the Server-series windows anyway)

Q) If one went with MS Azure would we actually need to get a separate DB account as has been mentioned in another thread? Or should we be able to install and run SQL Server Express on that instance?

A) You could always get an Azure virtual machine. I was trying to be all web-3.0-ey and set it up as a cloud service, but that's by no means necessary.

Q) As far as your building interface, which I believe is a stand-alone utility and not web-based. Will it support remote building right away? i.e. if I choose to create an instance of a server and host FM there will I be able to run the building app on my laptop and update my mud?

A) The current iteration of the building tool WOULD support remote building IF your database is "web-facing" - so if your database is only accessible on the local machine, you couldn't do that. But it should be possible to configure the database to be web facing. Also note that at present I don't have any security roles built in to the building tool - you could handle that by giving each user a separate SQL login, and then they'd have to use that in their connection string as their credentials, but there's no MUD-based authentication yet.

Q) If #4 above is a Yes, then an additional question is: If FM is hosted on a remote server can I run a local instance of the server on my own machine for testing purposes and copy data from one to the other? Kind of like a Builder Port on SoI? Bonus question if that's a yes. If so, I assume the local instance of FM can run without any type of internet connection in case I'm working offline. Would that be correct?

A) 100% of the data in FutureMUD is in the database except for the port you want it to run on and the connection details for the database (because it needs to know those to connect to the database in the first place). As such, you could copy any of the data across using normal database backup tools. I'm not super familiar with how to do that, but it's a pretty routine database administrator task as far as I know.

Also, you should see http://forum.futuremud.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=111 for some news on the linux hosting front.