A question on updates

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Malumunus
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A question on updates

Post by Malumunus » 30 Apr 2015, 04:54

Hey,

I've silently been waiting for a long time for FutureMUD, but I've been a little hesitant because I don't like a lot of change to what I am used to. I like updates, but going away from the general layout of SoI has had me worried. Finally watching some videos that were put up, I'm very excited with what's been done, and that you have followed much of the look of the RPI Engine, but just made it a shit ton better.

I just had a question... I'll be hoping to set up a server and host FutureMUD, so when your ready to release the Alpha version, how difficult would it be to add the future updates to the Alpha version? Like if I started to build the world and was about done, but then you released the full functioning combat code.. is it difficult to update?

I hate coding. I'm very clueless when it comes to programing. I'm assuming it's not that difficult, as the world files and such are separate.

Keep up the good work!

Japheth
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: A question on updates

Post by Japheth » 30 Apr 2015, 22:55

The intention of the engine has always been that and end user doesn't need to code anything to get it working. Updates would be shipped as a binary executable and dlls, that is to say, like most programs you use on your computer now. You won't need to compile anything, just overwrite the old program files with the new ones and the new version will work.

That being said you will probably also need to run a "Database Update" program that will apply any database changes between the versions. That will be another program that you run and it does its thing, and to the maximum extend possible once I release, database changes cannot be breaking changes. In some rare cases I may require you to make some choices in the database update program.

Say for instance a scenario where I realise that every object in game needs some critical piece of information it didn't have before, and it's just unacceptable for it not to have it. My updater may ask you the question "This version of FutureMUD requires X component to run. I can install a default version of this that should be acceptable to most users, and set up all your existing components to refer to this one until you update it on a case by case basis. If you choose not to do this, you will need to add this in before the MUD will run. Do you want to install the included X?"

I would hope to have to do that only very rarely.